Tuesday, January 10, 2006

High Key Portrait

High key portrait is fast becoming a popular branch of portraiture nowadays. It is basically a kind of portrait where the subject or the person being photographed is placed on a light or clean background with the sole purpose of drawing the eyes of the viewer to the subject and away from any distracting objects in the background since there is no background object at all in the first place. This isolation of the subject creates a high impact image more especially if they are presented in Black & White.

What I did here is a simulation of high key portraiture using the PhotoShop. I used the extract tool to remove the background, layered it to a white background, converted it to B&W, pushed the curves to create a wash out effect and adjusted the highlights to fine tune. I was about to add a diffuse glow filter but my better judgment prevailed upon me to stop!

No comments: